Thursday 24 October 2013

Learning some new tricks

When I first go into this hobby it was with a collection of friends who all played. Eventually most of us drifted apart in distance and we all stopped playing. I always wanted to get back into it and that's what prompted me to start the gaming club mentioned in previous posts.

After I started the club, I contacted some of my old gaming buddies to see if they still wanted their armies, and one of them did not so I purchased it. It contained an older metal Great Unclean One which I had planned on using in my Chaos Space Marine army, but when the new codex dropped it was discovered that we were no longer able to use greater daemons. So I now had a redundant model and a desire to further my painting skills.

So, here we have Old Papa Nurgle, all painted up, using some techniques I had not yet tried. With the idea being that if it was good enough I would attempt to sell it off.

So here we have the front and rear model views, I went with the darker green style in order to provide a stronger contrast of the bone colour, and the pustules.

I'd like to say, that this is truly a disgusting model and I hope I did it justice, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Front
Rear

And here we have some close ups of the protruding bone of the rear spine and the elbow. The blood effect was done by using the Tamiya Clear Red paint. The trick was to get some of the paint out of the pot and let it sit on the palette for a few minutes for it to get nice and sticky and then apply it with an old messy brush.

The Rear Spine
The Protruding Elbow

All in all, I was quite proud of my work on this model, I am very much a novice painter even though I have been in this hobby for many years. I'm hoping to further improve on my skills over the next few years with the spare time I have after having returned to full time study.


I have to thank the very helpful commission painter from The Sound of Machines for the tips on using the Clear Red to provide the blood effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment